Yoga philosophy includes the idea of ‘Saucha’, which means cleanliness. For this reason, many people who practice yoga perform oil pulling to make sure they detoxify and maintain oral health. Oil pulling is actually taking and swishing it back and forth between your teeth.
In fact, oil pulling is seeing a big revival among those who currently practice yoga. Oil pulling is an ancient Indian Ayurvedic technique. Medical research has shown that the health of your mouth correlates with the health of the rest of your body. Gingivitis, for example, is linked with heart disease.
Materials For Oil Pulling:
A good quality oil like coconut oil and sesame oil. Use organic virgin unrefined coconut oil – Coconut oil has antifungal and antimicrobial properties, so it will kill off bad bacteria and support the good bacteria.
- Napkin or Cup
- Take one or two teaspoons of oil in your mouth coconut oil will often be solid at first.
- Start to chew the solid coconut oil until it melts.
- Gently pull it in and out of your teeth in a swishing manner.
- Swish it into the gums and all-around your gum area
- Traditionally you want to keep it in your mouth for 20 minutes, which can be done easily in the shower, answering emails or making breakfast.
- After 20 minutes of swishing the oil around, you now have toxic material in your mouth that you do not want to swallow. Spit it into a tissue or cup and throw it in the trash bin. Do not spit it into the toilet or the sink because it could block your pipes.
- Then get a toothbrush without any toothpaste. Brush your teeth, rinse with warm water until you feel that your mouth is clean.
- You can introduce this oil pulling method into your daily routine for five minutes at first. Then increase the time until you can reach 20 minutes since it will be the ideal length of time to gain the health benefits. Avoid pulling longer than 20 minutes or else the oil will absorb into the body.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling
- Oil Pulling improves oral health – This technique strengthens gums, prevents and heals gum bleeding. It also helps to reduce plaque, cavities, bad breath and sensitivity in the teeth. Oil pulling is fantastic at whitening the teeth.
- Oil pulling removes bad bacteria – Normally if you weren’t detoxifying the mouth of this bacteria, you would be swallowing it down into your gut. This would affect your gut health which as a big impact on your immune system. So by pulling out all these toxins, it has a huge effect on your overall health.
- Detoxification – Oil pulling will speed up any detox or cleanse program that you are participating in.
- Heal and Cure Teeth Decay
- It strengthens your Jaw Muscles
Tip: Add 5 drops of essential oil. Frankincense oil will support immunity and lavender oil supports your gums. Tea tree oil or a blend that has cloves or cinnamon in it will help kill off bad bacteria.